How to spend your winter in West Michigan
Updated: Feb 17
Feeling the winter blues? Here are some ways to make the most out of the rest of West Michigan's winter days!
1. Head over to the Bittersweet Ski Area located off of River Road in Otsego, Michigan -- only about a 25 minute drive from the heart of downtown Grand Rapids! With over 20 runs of all shapes and sizes, there's no way you will run out of things to do. Rentals and lift tickets are available daily. Before you go, be sure to check out Bittersweet Ski Area's website to get live updates via webcam on the snow and weather for that day!
2. Experience magic at every turn and create memories to last a lifetime at Disney On Ice Frozen - the show worth melting for, all right here in Grand Rapids! Taking place at Van Andel Arena, dazzling ice skating, special effects, and unforgettable music will magically transport you to wintery Arendelle. Be a part of Anna's adventure to find her sister, Queen Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom in an eternal winter. Join Olaf the snowman, mountain man Kristoff, and his loyal reindeer sidekick Sven as they help Anna in a race to bring back summer. Encounter Everest-like conditions as you sing along to Academy Award-winning songs like Let it Go and ultimately discover true love is the most powerful magic of all. Hosted by Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, your whole family will delight in special appearances by stars from Toy Story, Finding Dory, The Lion King and the inspiring Disney Princesses. Show goes from February 28th-March 3rd.
3. February is Beer Month here in Grand Rapids! The 2019 14th Annual Winter Beer Festival will feature more than 140 Michigan breweries and brewpubs. Each ticket comes with 15 tasting tokens which guests can exchange for 3 oz. samples from over 1000 different craft beers (note that some specialty beers will require 2 tokens per 3 oz. sample). Guests will also enjoy great music from bands from around the area, ice sculpture demonstrations, and fire pits to warm up by. A selection of tasty food will be available for purchase at the festival, as well. The event will be held at Fifth Third Ballpark on February 22nd and 23rd. Saturday February 23rd is already sold out, so get your tickets for Friday fast!
4. Stay inside and brush up on your cooking skills by engaging in a hands-on cooking class at Sur La Table at the Breton South Village location! There are cooking classes every day, but the weekend of February 23rd and 24th are jam-packed with 4 classes each day. Create everything from French Desserts to Southern BBQ, or learn how to cook with wine and freshen up on your knife skills. Reserve online or call ahead for booking!
5. Belknap Park is centrally located, and has endless possibilities for all types of weather. During the winter season, spend the day sledding down the designated sledding hill. It's free, it's fun, and it's for all ages! Take advantage of the snowy days. Bundle up and head outside!
For more information, visit experiencegr.com.